Friday, January 24, 2014

Author Spotlight/Interview: Marina Myles


Bio.: Although Marina Myles lives under the sunny skies of Arizona, she would reside in a historic manor house in foggy England if she had her way. Her love of books began as soon as she read her first fairy tale, and grew by leaps and bounds when she discovered Nancy Drew/Agatha Christie mysteries and rich, historical romances.

Dreaming of becoming a published author, she wrote her first 'gothic' story at age eleven. She went on to study creative writing at Southern Methodist University- where she received degrees in Communications and English Literature. During her time in Dallas, she had the unique experience of being a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader.

Now with her loyal Maltese close by, she relishes the hours she gets to escape into worlds filled with tortured heroes, strong heroines, and their fiery-but not easily attained-love affairs. She's busy being a wife (to her Italian-born husband) and a mother (to her two beautiful daughters), but she is never too busy to hear from her amazing readers.

Follow Marina: GoodreadsFacebookTwitterWebsite






Interview with Marina:


What book are you reading now? 

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. For anyone who hasn’t discovered this author, you’re in for a treat. Her books are full of haunting history, intriguing mystery, and bygone romances. She’s amazing!

What was your favorite moment while you were a Dallas Cowboy's Cheerleader? 

My most vivid memory is entering the field at Texas Stadium for the first time. 60,000 people were watching from the stands and countless more were viewing the performance on television. I nearly dropped my pom-poms!!

If you could work with any author who would it be?

Definitely Eloisa James. I would prick her brain to find out how she continues to produce such magical romances!

What are your must-have accessories while writing?

My husband chides me about this, but every morning I have a Coke. It wakes me up since my daughters’ school starts at 7:40 am. Once I’m settled in front of the computer, my dog curls up at my feet and I start typing away!

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Now that I’m published and facing deadlines, it’s a whole new ballgame. Before I sold, I would write when I had time and languish about every chapter. Now, the speed at which I’m writing is the biggest adjustment.

Which childhood fairy tale is your favorite and why? 

My favorite is Cinderella. From her parents’ deaths, to her cruel stepmother, she suffers a lot. That’s why her love story with Prince Charming is the ultimate redemption and the ultimate fairy tale!

Who is your favorite character from the Cursed Princes series? 

My favorite character is my hero in A WARLOCK’S DANCE. In this Cursed Princes novella, Lucian Ivanu is a sub-par warlock with questionable powers. However, he more than makes up for it by being wonderfully self-deprecating and incredibly dashing. (Releases May 2014)

What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview? How would you answer that question?

I’ve wanted to be asked how many rejection letters I got before I sold. For the benefit of aspiring writers, I’d be honest and tell them I got at least fifty. Rejection happens, but as the old adage goes, it only takes one literary agent to agree to represent you—and one editor to like your work enough to buy it.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

I turned in SLEEPING BEAUTY AND THE DEMON (The Cursed Princes #3) recently and now I’m working on CINDERELLA AND THE GHOST (The Cursed Princes #4). It features a ghostly viscount who’s haunted his former palace for over three hundred years. If he hopes to change his destiny and urge the girl of his dreams to travel back in time to be with him, both of them need a stroke of luck at the stroke of midnight…

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

I’d say “thank you for your enthusiasm!” I’ve gotten so many positive comments about The Cursed Princes series and I’m grateful that readers are enjoying my books!!
Thanks to you, too, Lisa. This has been fun!





A Union Of Curses

Isabella Farrington’s marriage was hasty. For all her new husband’s riches, Lord Draven Winthrop is whispered about, avoided, and feared. Yet Isabella is drawn to Draven’s dark good looks, his strength, the charm he can turn on as easily as she can blink. The impoverished daughter of an Egyptologist, she knows there are rumors about her, too, and the amulet she wears. Nothing more than superstitious babble…

But when Isabella returns to Draven’s remote coastal manor, she senses there is something more at work in the grim gardens of Thorncliff Towers than superstition. Draven is passionate and seductive, but he has a brutal, uncontrolled side too, and a history of secrets. To live in peace she must discover the reasons behind a gypsy curse and a mother’s scorn. Especially when she learns Draven believes his sweet young bride is doomed to a fate even darker than his own…

Lisa's Review: I gave this book 4 stars. I enjoyed this twist of the classic fairy tale Beauty And The Beast. Initially, I was not liking Draven however, by the end I loved him. This book flowed well and kept my attention. 

Although this is the first book of the Cursed Princes series, I read this one after I read the second book in the series and it read like a stand alone book.

Fog And Fascination

Alba Spencer thought her past in Romania and the dark magic that haunted it was behind her forever. She is one of the first female barristers now, safe in London. But London has its dark side, too. A man called the Ripper stalks the midnight streets. There are rumors that her hated stepmother has found her again, suggestions that the nightmares of her childhood are returning. And with them appears the cursed Gypsy boy she once loved, grown into a man more seductive and more terrifying than she ever could have dreamed…

Dimitri Grigorescu has become a surgeon, a gentleman—and a vampire. The lusts that drive his body are scarcely under control, and even he does not truly know what he is capable of. To fight evil and confusion, Alba must rely only on her wits—and a desire that overwhelms her doubts…

Lisa's Review: I gave this book 4 stars. There were several different tales that came into play in this twist of the classic Snow White tale. Although, at times, it seemed there was too much happening; the book flowed well. I enjoyed Alba's character the most primarily due to her determination and definitely liked the hot Dimitri. This twist of the classic fairy tale was creative and entertaining.



GIVEAWAY TIME!!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome, Robin. Thank you for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. Great interview, Marina. And the Cursed Prince series is fantastic!

    Btw, the men in my family would find it very cool that I know a former Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Thanks Terri. Just don't tell them how long it's been since I've been one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the awesome giveaway. The books look really good and I love the covers of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer. Thank you for the kind words. If you have a chance to read my books, I hope you like them!!

    ReplyDelete